Friday, February 8, 2013

Vehicon Modeled


Yesterday I spent most of the evening finishing up the modeling of a Vehicon. The Vehicons are Decepticon lackeys who all look the same, so it was important for the model to look right, otherwise all the Vehicons would look wrong. Luckily everything seems to be okay with this model, except some limited elbow movement. The car mode is better then the robot mode, as usual.


Nice and compact, just the way I like it. This'll be nice to see on the roads, fighting the Autobots and taking them out with a well-placed missile. Oh yeah, I didn't mention the missiles, did I?


Two missile launchers fold up from the back of the truck mode, pointing behind the car, so that they can be fired and take out enemies sneaking up from behind. You'll also notice two mini-zander cannons can also unfold, which can fire steady bursts of energy at pursuers. I'll have to come up with a cool weapon for these guys to use in robot mode... maybe a spear or something? At any rate, the Vehicons are finished, which means that I can finally finish shot 004, which is the first shot to feature robots in the short, and they are... you guessed it! Vehicons!



During the modeling process I had to remind myself where parts where going sometimes, just in case I forgot. I ended up not needing these notes, but I thought I'd post 'em up here just to show a bit of the work that goes into these things.

Finally, I have this lovely movie to show... it's a Proof of Concept shot of the untransformation, to give myself an idea about what the final battle's cinematic shots will look like. Remember, this shot is a work in progress, and probably won't show up in the final film, so don't use this as a basis upon which to judge all the final animation.


It may be hard to see, but Steve, (that's the Vehicon's unofficial name), fires two missiles near the beginning of the video.

I'm working on a few ideas for the battle sequences as well, but I need to finish modeling all four Autobots, plus getting the first scene done, before I can move on to THAT.

Also, be sure to stop by the Videos page if you haven't already to see Optimus Prime's featurette, or watch the new Vehicon test movie again! (You did watch it, right?)