Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Nemesis Corridor - Shot 004


This WAS the Nemesis Corridor in the second scene of the short, or the fourth shot. Notice the cybertronian markings on the walls. They actually say something, because I found a nice sheet of cybertronian symbols online, (not sure whether they are accurate), that will let me write in Autobot cybertronian and Decepticon cybertronian for ultimate authenticity, by copying and pasting the letters into my textures, (however for future writings I have a font that I created myself, see post above for details!) The keypad near the door and the screen depicting the Nemesis's stats also have cybertronian letters.


Like I said, this WAS the corridor. I actually scrapped this model because it looked too blocky, and I didn't like the door or the lighting. That's why I remodeled it, and now it looks like this:


May this post serve as a reminder of the lengths I go to to make each shot of this short awesome.
As a warning bell sounds and the lights go out, the Vehicons stand ready to defend.

I gave the scene a worm's eye viewpoint because I'm trying to impress people with a sense of awe at the giant robots towering over them. That's a trick I learned from my earlier short, Wrath of Megatron.

Another trick I learned is: the best HDRI lighting to use is not always the one that "fits", but it's always the one that looks right. At first I was using an indoor HDRI lighting setup because, well, its INSIDE the ship! But when I experimented with an outdoor HDRI, the whole scene was instantly improved as the lighting looks bluer and therefore more like the lights along the rim of the corridor. Hopefully, in the action-packed shots ahead, the file sizes won't become too large. Thankfully, the next few shots focus on just the Vehicons, and there's one shot that I can probably pull off without importing Optimus, (though this scene is pretty bad, it's around 13k polygons thanks to the two Vehicons). After that, it may take some clever computer swapping to pull this off. 

Ultra Magnus so far...

Also, don't worry, I'm modeling Ultra Magnus as well, right now the hardest part is trying to figure out his transformation. I'll take some time to try and figure it out, and don't forget, most of the short features all four Autobots, so I need Ratchet and Bumblebee to be completed too!

Until then, keep your eyes peeled for the full Vehicon featurette, and more information on the shots.