Friday, January 4, 2013

An Introduction


 Hello and welcome to the blog! I'm the creator of this series, and I'm planning on single-handedly bringing to life a small team of Autobots. It's going to be an immense challenge, and my ultimate goal will be bringing this short, (and it's sequels), to Botcon, where it will reach a wider audience. I'm giving you the opportunity to follow along as I create this first short, with extensive behind the scenes featurettes and posts, images, wallpapers and more.

Let me start off by giving you a little background. This is not my first foray into computer graphics, nor is it my first foray into transformers. It's not even my first time making a computer generated short about transformers! For the past five years I've been obsessed with modeling, (in the computer), Optimus Prime, from the live action transformers films and other movies and shows as well. It's hard to say how many times I've manipulated polygons into his likeness, but I'd say it's been around seven. Over the years, as my skill with the software has progressed, I have modeled at least one Optimus Prime model per year! It's an incredible indicator of progression.

Though I don't really like the live action films, the version of Optimus Prime I have modeled most is from them. The movies might be bad, but the robots are awesome, and really fun to model and pose! Let me get into why I'm making this short. I made my first Transformers-based short in 2009. It was part of a series of Transformers shorts I was going to make with a friend, and it was entitled "Transformers: Legacy of Unicron".


 Like many of my earlier films, it didn't make much sense. I followed up with the sequel, "Wrath of Megatron", in 2010.

One scene from this, my poorly modeled Devastator's transformation sequence, has reached over 400,000 views on YouTube. I'm still not sure why.


These two shorts were originally going to be accompanied by two more, "Origin of Megatron" and "Revenge of the Combiners", the latter of which informed me of combiners, which are now my favorite kind of transformers, and that's why Devastator will be appearing in this series. Anyway, shortly after I released Wrath of Megatron, (and decided not to complete the others), I released another transformers-based short, called "Transformers Ultimate Battle: The Music Video" in 2011.


For that short, the transformers looked like, (as close as I could get at the time), their live-action movie versions. I learned a lot from making this short, and that's part of why I have enough confidence in my ability to make this one. After that came Transformers: Atomic in 2011, which was going to be yet another series, but I cut it short because I lost interest.



So there you have it. That's the chronicles of my CGI transformers obsession in a nutshell. So, what about this new short? What will the plot be? Find out tomorrow, when I take a look at the plot in my next post! See you then.